The Plaza Murillo is the central plaza of the city of La Paz and the seat of government of Bolivia.
The Plaza was originally named the Plaza Mayor (Greatest or Main Plaza) after its construction. After the independence, the square was renamed Plaza Murillo after the honor of Pedro Murillo, who was captured and hung by Spanish troops in January 1810.
Pedro Domingo Murillo (1757– 1810) was a patriot of Upper Peru who played a key role in Bolivia’s independence.
Prominent buildings on the plaza include the Presidential Palace, National Congress of Bolivia, and the Cathedral of La Paz.
The original clock on the Bolivian Congress Building has been replaced with a reversed clock dubbed the “Clock of the South”.
The Clock of the South is a mirror image of a traditional clock: its numbers are flipped and its hands move in a counter-clockwise direction (though it is clockwise relative to the Clock of the South).
The Cathedral Basilica of Our Lady of Peace, also called La Paz Cathedral, was built in 1835 with a neoclassical architecture with Baroque elements.
Left the Plaza Murillo, we are getting into a narrow street called Calle Comercio, going to Plaza San Francisco (Saint Francis Square) for shopping of the souvenir.