From the Larco Museum, we are going to the Main Square of Lima called the Plaza de Armas.
The Plaza de Armas, Main Square of Lima, is the birthplace and core of the city of Lima. Located in the Historic Centre of Lima, it is surrounded by the Government Palace, Cathedral, Archbishop’s Palace of Lima, the Municipal Palace, and the Palace of the Union.
Built in 1535, the Government Palace o is the seat of the executive branch of the Peruvian Government and the official residence of the President of Peru.
The Archbishop’s Palace is the residence of the Archbishop of Lima, and the palace is also headquarters to the offices of the cardinal of Peru, who is also the archbishop of Lima.
The construction of the cathedral began in 1535 and completed in1538. It retains its colonial structure and façade. It is dedicated to St John, Apostle and Evangelist.
There are many chapels on the nave. One of them is the chapel of Francisco Pizarro.
In January 18th 1535, Francisco Pizarro laid the first foundation stone, carrying on his shoulders the first log was used in the construction of the Cathedral. The chosen location was between the Main Plaza and the Street of the Jews.
The impressive Chapel of the Immaculate Conception is an original baroque altar, dedicated to Our Lady of Evangelization.
Then, let’s walk down to the underground chapel under the main altar.
After the Cathedral of Lima, we are leaving the church and going to the next destination the Santo Domingo convent in Lima.