Santa María de León Cathedral was built on the site of previous Roman baths of the 2nd century which, 800 years later, king Ordoño II converted into a palace.
The León Cathedral, dedicated to Santa María de la Regla (Saint Mary of the Rule), was declared of Cultural Interest in 1844. It is known as the Pulchra Leonina (Beautiful Leo) and is a masterpiece of the Gothic style dominating the mid-13th century. By the late 16th century it was completed.
The main façade has two towers. The southern tower is known as the ‘clock tower’. The interior represents a combination of architecture, painting, sculpture and other arts.
Stained glasses of the León Cathedral are the world’s finest stained glass works.
Total area of stained glass windows are almost 1,800 square meters and one of the main touristic attractions of the cathedral. The great majority of them are original, and date from the thirteenth to the fifteenth century.