Trenčín is a city in western Slovakia of the central Váh River valley near the Czech border, around 120 km from Bratislava.
It has a population of more than 56,000, which makes it the ninth largest municipality of the country and is the seat of the Trenčín Region and District. It has a medieval castle, situated on a rock above the city.
1 Trenčín Castle 2 Trenčín Museum 3 Lower City Gate 4 Roman Inscription 5 Plague Column Plague Pillar 6 Piarist Church of St. Francis Xavier 7 Gallery of Miloš Alexander Bazovský 8 Synagogue 9 Parish stairway 10 St. Michael’s Carner 11 Roman Catholic Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary 12 House of the City’s executioner 13 Hotel Tatra 14 Collection of the town architecture (Archaeological site at Mierové Square) 15 Lutheran Church 16 St. Anne’s Chapel
The museum originally served as a the city palace of the Ilešházis family and is located near the Upper city gate. Built in the 17th. century, late Baroque adjustments were made to the palace in 1760 -1764.
The Lower City Gate; The six floor Gothic tower of the city gate was built around the beginning of the 15th century on a square foundation.
The most important epigraphic monument in Central Europe is an inscription from 179 A.D. on today’s rock below the Castle. Up to the present time it has been reminding us of the 2nd Roman legion’s victory against Germanic tribe called Quadi.
The pillar was built, in 1712, in the center of the square to commemorate a plague that hit Trenčín in 1710. Vienna stone-cutting masters that were working on the restoration of the Piarist Church at the time, created the pillar after the initiative of hereditary Lord of District, earl Mikuláš Ileszhazi.
The Jesuit Church, later Piarist Church of St. Francis Xaverský, was built in the early-Baroque style from 1653 – 1657, as one-nave building with side chapels with top opening emphoric oratories. Italian builder Pietro Spazzo, together with his brother Berhard, supervised the construction. The building follows the middle European style of the two-tower Jesuit temples as shown by the St. Francis Church in Vienna.
Miloš Alexander Bazovsky belongs to the most famous and outstanding personalities of the Slovak painting of 20th century. His work was thematically connected with Slovakia and by its expression it was orientated on wider European context. It contributed to the formation of modern Slovak art.
The Trenčín synagogue belongs to the most exquisite and interesting works of its type in Slovakia. It was built close to an earlier synagogue. In 1913, a Trenčín construction firm, Fuchs and Niegreisz, based on the blueprints of a Berlin architect Dr. Richard Scheibner, carried out the construction.
The Renaissance Parish stairway was built in 1568 as a defence passageway serving the members of the city art’s guilds to defend city walls ranging from the St. Michael’s Carner to the castle.
At the same time it also served as an access road to the City armory, built in 1565 next to the carner. The stairway was damaged by fires in the years 1708, 1790 and 1886.
After its restoration, the stairway was used as a public communication. It connected the middle of the City with the area of Parish church, the castle and later with the Brezina woods.
St. Michael’s Carner was built in the second half of the 15th century as a kostnica (building to houses the ashes of the dead), near the Parish church.
The Church of the Birth of Virgin Mary was built in 1324, on the foundation of a 13th. century building, the church is a three-nave Basilica-type structure with a simple right-angle presbytery and a protruding-front-positioned tower on the west side.
The house dates back to 1580 and can be seen in the oldest vista of Trenčín. In the 17th century, according to folk legend, it served as the City’s executioner’s home as well as a prison. More likely the house received its name during the 19th century, when the City pandour purportedly lived there. (I don’t know the word “pandour”. Maybe it means “pander.”
Hotel Tatra was built by baron Armin Popper in 1901 in line with elements of the Secession style, according to a design by E. Bleier. The building was erected on the site of an older inn called At the Red Star. The hotel was named after the emperor Francis Joseph’s wife Elizabeth „ Erzsébet“ (today‘s cafe Sissi bears her name ). In 1919, the hotel was purchased by Tatra bank, and in 1921 the name was changed to Tatra hotel.
The square has an elongated form which shape has been changed through centuries. Building townhouses was the activity that impacted the square’s character the most. The Jesuits built their church and convent on the square during 1652 – 1657. The statues of St. Ján Nepomucký and Plague Pillar were erected in the 18th century. Statue of St. Florian, symbol of fire protection, was built in first years of the 19th century.
This church was built in the Classicist style in 1794. In 1935, a substantial reconstruction was done mainly to the church’s interior. An Academic sculptor Jozef Pospíšil created the corpus of the Crucified Christ.
The Chapel was built in 1789, over the site of an earlier Gothic church that belonged to the City hospital. The Baroque and Classicist style main altar with the picture of St. Anne dates to the second half of the 18th century. The Remarkable Rococo baptistery and the late-Baroque period organ are situated in church’s interior. The painting of the Holy Family, restored by Vienna painter Emil Czech in 1886, is in the middle of the Prussian vault. The Church was painted by a local master Brabenec.