Košice is the biggest city in eastern Slovakia. It is situated on the river Hornád at the eastern reaches of the Slovak Ore Mountains, near the border with Hungary. With a population of approximately 240,000, Košice is the second largest city in Slovakia after the capital Bratislava.
①UniqueTokay vineyards and cellars ②Castles and UNESCO caves of the Gemer region ③UNSCO heritage of the Spiš region ④Wooden UNESCO churchs and Bardejov ⑤Jewish heritage of Eastarn Slovakia ⑥Oiening National Park ⑦Tatra National Park ⑧Slovak Paradise National Park ⑨Andy Warhol’s roots and work ⑩Brewery Tour ⑪Jason – Baroque Monastery and UNESCO World Heritage cave
Hornád is a river in eastern Slovakia. The source of the Hornád is in the Low Tatra Mountains. It flows through the Slovak regions Spiš and Abov. It is 193 km long, located on territory of Slovakia.
Slovak Ore Mountains, segment of the Carpathian Mountains, in south-central Slovakia. The mountains extend (west-east) for about 145 km between Zvolen and Košice and rise to 1,477 m in Stolica. They are noted for their mineral resources, especially high-grade iron ore, which is important to the Slovak economy. The ice caverns of Dobšiná are on their northern slopes.
The city has a well preserved historical center, which is the largest among Slovak towns. There are many heritage protected buildings in Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, and Art Nouveau styles with Slovakia’s largest church: the St. Elisabeth Cathedral.
Statue of the first municipal coat of arms in Europe – Košice
St. Elizabeth’S Cathedral is a Gothic cathedral in Košice. It was built between 1378 and 1508. The Saint Michael Chapel is a Gothic style chapel in Košice. It was built as a cemetery chapel inside the town walls in the place of the present-day park at Main Street. The lower part of the chapel was initially a charnel, the upper one served for offices for the deceased.
The State Theatre Košice was established in 1945 under the name “East Slovakian National Theatre”. It comprises three independent ensembles: drama, opera and ballet, and performs on two stages: the Historic Building and the Little Stage.
The Plague Pillaris a Baroque plague column in Košice. It was erected at the place of medieval gallows at Hlavná ulica (Main Street) in 1723. The column is situated in a small park and commemorates the gratitude to Mother Mary for an end to the plague epidemic from 1709 and 1710. Legend has it that the bodily remains of St. Valentine are hidden under one of the columns.
The Old Town Hall, palace-type structure built in Baroque style, was erected on the site of older City Hall in 1779-1780 by architect Ján Langer.
The most beautiful example of medieval walls and bastion in Kosice is just Executioner’s Bastion, which protects one of the city gates. The name of Executioner’s Bastion is derived from the fact that the bastion was situated near a medieval executioner’s house. It is semicircular building erected around the year 1500.
Sándor Márai was a Hungarian writer and journalist. He was born in Kassa (Kosice) in 1900. He rose to fame as one of the leading literary novelists in Hungary in the 1930s. Profoundly antifascist, he survived World War II, but persecution by the Communists drove him from the country in 1948, first to Italy and then to the United States. Márai committed suicide in San Diego in 1989.
The autumn International Peace Marathon is one of the main events in the life of the town of Košice. The memorial with the statue of a marathon runner honours the winners and all participants of this race. It is placed on the Námestie Maratónu mieru square.
The church is the most valuable Baroque object in Košice, with the most beautiful period interior. It is a Roman Catholic Church in Košice. It is an example of Baroque architecture in the city and was the site of the martyrdom of three saints in 1619.
St. Anthony of Padua Church (commonly known as the Franciscan Church or the Seminary Church) at Main Street is the second oldest church in Košice. It was built for Franciscans by the Perényi family from Perín after a big fire in 1333. After the fire in 1556, the church was used as a military store-house. From 1596 to 1671, it was used as a cathedral for the bishop of Eger who settled here during the occupation of Eger by the Ottoman Empire.
The Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary or commonly known as the Dominican Church at Dominikánske námestie (Dominican Square) is the oldest church in Košice, and also the oldest preserved building in the town.
Košice’s most significant Jewish heritage site is the Orthodox Jewish community compound, which still serves as the center of Jewish communal life.
The Orthodox synagogue in Košice was built in the years 1926–1927 at Puškinova Street, Košice. The Orthodox Jews built a representative synagogue with 800 seats with a school and the Talmud Torah School headed by rabbis.
The long main street, rimmed with aristocratic palaces, Catholic churches, and townsfolk’s houses, is a thriving pedestrian zone with many boutiques, cafés, and restaurants.