The great Mosque of Muhammad Ali Pasha is a mosque situated in the Citadel of Cairo and commissioned by Muhammad Ali Pasha between 1830 and 1848.
Situated on the summit of the citadel, this Ottoman mosque, the largest to be built in the first half of the 19th century, is, with its fantastic silhouette and twin minarets, the most visible mosque in Cairo. The mosque was built in memory of Tusun Pasha, Muhammad Ali’s oldest son, who died in 1816.
The interior has a measure of 41×41 meters and gives a great feeling of space.
Muhammad Ali Pasha (4 March 1769 – 2 August 1849) was an Albanian commander in the Ottoman army, who became Wāli (governor), and self-declared Khedive (title of the Egyptian ruler) of Egypt and Sudan. Though not a modern nationalist, he is regarded as the founder of modern Egypt because of the dramatic reforms in the military, economic and cultural spheres that he instituted.
He also ruled Levantine (historic areas of Palestine, Israel and Syria) territories outside Egypt. The dynasty he established would rule Egypt and Sudan until the Egyptian Revolution of 1952.
Muhammad Ali Pasha was buried in a tomb carved from Carrara marble, in the courtyard of the mosque.