10 Museum of Applied Arts and Precision
Museum of Artistic and Precision Handicrafts, 20 Piekarska St.
11 Church of St. Martin
Though St. Martin’s Church now has a Baroque facade, it was originally constructed in the Gothic style. Modern reconstructions have been unable to preserve the interior, which has been modernized.
Mass in St. Martin’s Church:
Monday to Saturday – 6:30 am, 8:00 am and 5:30 am (July and August services are reduced to two times a day – 6:30 am and 5:30 pm)
Sundays and Holidays: 8:00 am, 9:30 am, 11:00 am and 5:30 pm.
Built in the 15th century, this bridge once spanned the moat in front of the Southern Gate (Krakowska Gate), which led to town through the double circle of the City Walls. Demolished in 1808, it was accidentally discovered in 1977, renovated and opened to pedestrians. This massive, Gothic construction expands like an arm from the City Walls and closes the Royal Square from the west. In the summer time young rebels use it as an open-air pub, perfect for drinking beer admiring the panorama of the castle, Swietokrzyski Bridge and Vistula River.
13 A town house of Pelican
“Pelican House” (1705) at Castle Square Old Town – Warsaw. Completely destroyed by the German occupiers, it was rebuilt after the war.
14 Cathedral. John the Baptist
The cathedral was erected in its present form in the 14th century. It has witnessed many historic events, including weddings, coronations and royal funerals.
15 Shrine of Our Lady of Grace
Built in the late-Renaissance style, between 1609-1629, the early-Baroque altar has a miraculous portrait renowned for the graces of Our Lady of Grace, the Patroness of Warsaw; it was donated by King John Casimir to Pope Innocence X. The stone bear lying in front of the church has a romantic legend connected to it: in this enchanted rock, a shy prince waits for the one woman whose love can restore him to manhood.
Bell on Kanonia Square Warsaw, Poland. The bell was brought to this place from the National Museum in 1972. Originally casted in 1646 by Daniel Thiem.
The bell was intended for the temple in the town of Jaroslaw but because of production fault it’s toll probably never sound.
In the corner you can see the narrowest house in Warsaw and Europe and one of the 10 narrowest in the world.
In the 17/18th ages the tax from the house depended on how wide it was, so this was the reason they built rather high, but narrow buildings 🙂
Castle Square, Warsaw Castle Square is a historic square in front of the Royal Castle ( the official residence of Polish monarchs). It is a popular meeting place for tourists and locals. The Square ( triangular shape) features landmark Sigismund’s Column to the south-west, and is surrounded by historic townhouses. It marks the beginning of the bustling Royal Road extending to the south. On the square is a column of King Sigismund III Vasa from 1644, the oldest and symbolic monument of the city. On the east side of square stands reconstructed after the devastation of World War II, the Royal Castle, the residence of the dukes of Mazovia, and then Polish kings and grand dukes of Lithuania from the 16th to 18th century, bombed and blown up by the Nazis during World War II.
17 The Royal Castle Warsaw
A castle, built as a residence for the King of Poland, Sigmund III, who descending from the Swedish Vasa dynasty, had a pretense to rule Sweden, therefore moved the capital north from Krakow, the traditional capital of Poland. Italian architects built the castle. Until today, this mixture of Polish grand gesture, Italian style and Swedish soberness, despite all the contradictions in terms, is clearly visible in the castle’s structure. During the WWII, Germans have methodically destroyed the Royal Castle. Now the castle is fully rebuilt with an effort of many Poles in the country and abroad.
18 The Palace at Tin Roof
The building behind the castle, which you can easily see standing on the bridge beside the castle, is the first house in the city of Warsaw to have a tin roof instead of the traditional tiles. It is the one with the green roof as you look from the bridge.
In 1949 the Castle Square was connected to the escalator with newly formed Route W-Z. Runs under the Castle Square tunnel and the viaduct (leading to the Silesian-Dąbrowski Bridge), was built in the place of viaduct Pancer, destroyed during World War II.
20 Gnojna Top
I do not know about the Polish words “Gnojna Góra” at all . I got two opinions of Gnojna Góra below from the net. You should read the opinions and see for yourself.
1 If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Old Town and sit and admire the view of the Vistula River and towers of Praga (the right-bank district of Warsaw), stop for a moment at the Gnojna Gora. In the summer you will find the beer garden of the John Bull pub here, where you can sip beer and wonder about the history of Gnojna Gora. The name means Dung Mound, and for centuries this place was used as a dump for the town and the Royal Castle alike. Gnojna Gora supposedly had healing properties: namely it was said to heal syphilis. The treatment was based on burying patients up to their necks in trash… 2 Known as Gnojna Góra (Compost Hill), this small knoll once served as the town rubbish dump, and at one stage was also renowned for its healing properties – this is where the stupid rich would come to be buried up to their necks in rubbish in a supposed cure for syphilis. Doesn’t work, we’ve tried.
21 Mermaid statue
The Legends of Warsaw Mermaid
Once upon a time, lived two mermaids in the Baltic Sea. These half-fish, half-women were beautiful sisters who had spent their whole existence in the sea, before apparently getting bored of the life aquatic. One day they both decided to come ashore. The first sister headed up to the Danish straits, and so she sits at the entrance to the port of Copenhagen to this very day. The other sister swam first to the port of Gdansk, from where she decided to swim the river Vistula to its end. Fortunately for our story, the mermaid decided to rest on a sandy bank on the foot of what is today Warsaw’s Old Town and, like oh so many ex-pats in the city, she loved it so much that she chose to stay.
Soon though, fishermen from the neighbouring village began to notice that someone was letting the fish out of their nets. Annoyed, they decided to capture the culprit and punish him. They didn’t expect to find the mermaid, however, and as soon as they heard her beautiful voice, they vowed never to harm her (another reminder that men can be so easily swayed by a cute Polish chick). Soon, the mermaid would fill every evening with her gorgeous songs to the merriment of the villagers.
One day, a rich merchant was walking by the Vistula and spotted the mermaid. He had the bright idea, as merchants do, to capture her and show her off at a fair, making him a fat profit in the process. He tricked her and threw her in a wooden shed, but her cries for help were so loud that soon a young (and undoubtedly handsome) fisherman’s son heard her, and with the help of friends set her free. The mermaid, grateful for their aid, promised to defend them and their village, which would later grow into our beloved Warsaw.
Since then, the mermaid, armed with a sword and shield, has been protecting the city and its inhabitants. Today the mermaid of Warsaw can be seen all over the city, from the statue in the Old Town pictured below, to the city’s coat of arms.
Sigismund’s Column, erected in 1644, is located in Castle Square. It is one of Warsaw’s most famous landmarks and one of the oldest secular monuments in northern Europe. The column and statue commemorate King Sigismund III Vasa, who in 1596 had moved Poland’s capital from Kraków to Warsaw.
On the Corinthian column,(which used to be of red marble), 8.5 m high, a sculpture of the King, 2.75-metres high, in archaistic armour is placed. Sigismund’s Column now stands at 22 metres and is adorned by four eagles. The king is dressed in armor and carries a cross in one hand and wields a sword in the other. On 1 September 1944, during the Warsaw Uprising, the monument was demolished by the Germans, and its bronze statue was badly damaged. After the war the statue was repaired, and in 1949 it was set up on a new column, made of granite from the Strzegom mine, a couple of metres from the original site. The original broken pieces of the column can still be seen lying next to the Royal Castle.